Friday Memo 4/24/15

Happy Friday!

Syllabus Project
As mentioned at the faculty meeting on Monday, we will be updating syllabi this summer to add alignment not only to course goals, but also to division, program, and institution goals. We will need everyone's help with this project. All Education syllabi currently contain alignment between course objectives and assessments; however, we will need to add an alignment table with division and program goals. Our office will be preloading course, division, and program standards into each master syllabus. We will need lead instructors to update each syllabus with these new alignment tables.
In addition to aligning our standards and assessments, we will also be adding information into each syllabus regarding the amount of time students spend interacting with course material. This information will be loaded into a credit hour calculator to make sure our students are spending 45 clock hours per credit hour on course content. We will be meeting with all lead instructors in the second week of June to discuss this project.

Teaching Professor Technology Conference
David Collum, Tim Delicath, and I have been accepted to present at the Teaching Professor Technology Conference in New Orleans this fall. Needless to say, we are thrilled that we will be presenting at this conference and sharing the research regarding simSchool!

Enrollment meeting
I met with Craig Bodenschatz, Director of Online Recruitment, to discuss our recruitment strategies for our online programs. It was a great time of discussion and collaboration about how we can better recruit students into our programs.

Title II Reporting
Angela McGowan, Carl Holschen, and I met to review the 2014 Title II report data that will be submitted. Please click the following link to see the 2013 report - 2013 Title II Report. This report can also be found on our website.

SLCC lunch with Admissions Representatives
I was invited by the MBU admissions representatives to speak to the admissions representatives from St. Louis Community College. I am so thankful that Jill Crain invited me to speak at this event. It was an excellent opportunity to brag about our programs to the folks at St. Louis Community College who advise their students. Perhaps we will gain some SLCC transfer students due to this meeting.

Missouri Professors of Educational Administration
Shelton Smith, Jim Chellew, Marty Riggs, Don Francis, Marsha Tierney, and I are currently at the MPEA meeting in Columbia. I am looking forward to the information learned at this meeting today and hearing from the State Commissioner.



CEEDAR webinar
Michael Kreitler, Tonia Crane, Alicia Noddings, Brenda Weimer, and I participated in a webinar regarding the CEEDAR grant. The webinar provided an overview of the CEEDAR work and Technical Assistance that we will receive as an institutional member of this group.


Counseling & Education Open Positions
This coming week the counseling search committee will be meeting with a candidate. The search committee to fill the vacancy from Carl's retirement has been reviewing application materials. We have identified a few top candidates that I will be interviewing this coming week and bringing to the full search committee. It is IMPOSSIBLE to replace Carl, but we will do our best to bring a qualified team member to join us.

Singapore Math
I met with the representatives from Singapore Math and the instructor who will be working at the Summer Institute. They were very impressed with our facilities!

AACTE IPEDS report
Tonia Crane, Angela McGowan, and I met to discuss the next report that is due in 3 weeks - yikes! The IPEDS report due to AACTE is a very long report that will take a lot of our time and energy. Thanks to Kathleen and Heather Brase who will be instrumental in collecting the necessary data.

Summer Schedule
Mary Ann Boaus and I met to make sure we are staffed for the start of the next term that begins Monday. We are tying up some loose ends and will be ready to go for classes Monday.

Thank you note from Shelton to the division



Upcoming Meetings:
Tuesday, April 28     Division Faculty Meeting     10:15am - 11:55am     Field Conference
Tuesday, April 28     Graduation     Family Arena
Wednesday, April 29     Curriculum Design Task Force     1:00pm     Field Conference

Psalms 16:7-11 encouraged me this morning as I think about the students who are about to graduate. Hopefully, these words will bring you hope.

I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay. You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Have a great weekend!
Melanie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Memo 11/11/2016

Tribute to Shelton Smith

Friday Memo 9/30/16