Friday Memo 3/25/16


Image Source: http://blog.authorstream.com/2015/04/greeting-holy-good-friday-happy-easter-wishes.html
Spring Break 
Spring... The season between winter and summer, blooming flowers and trees, green grass growing. 
Break...  Time off, a temporary release of duties, 
Spring Break for a teacher is that glorious week off 3/4 of the way through the school year. The summer light is peaking through the end of the tunnel. We can see the end near and spring break is a special time for teachers to disconnect, rest, relax, perhaps play. I hope you all had such an experience last week during spring break. It took me a few days to get out of work mode, but I got the hang of it. My spring break consisted of sleeping in a little later than normal, shopping, lunch with friends, taking my kids to and from school each day, and cleaning my house, which doesn't sound fun but it actually was because my house is often neglected from the demands of being a working mom. The week off was such a blessing for me and I am rejuvenated and ready to finish this last lap of the school year. I am anxious to hear about your spring break experiences, travels, and/or stories. 


While in Savannah, GA for the SITE conference I visited Georgia's oldest school, now the Massie Heritage Center. Here I sit with a Dunce cap on my head!

simSchool
David Collum and I presented our simSchool research at the SITE and CAEP conferences this week. We are actually on the plane now on our way home. We gave four presentations and were encouraged by the interest in joint research from others at institutions across the United States, even in Puerto Rico. There is interest in understanding the efficacy of simulated field experiences. In addition to sharing our research with others in our field we have learned a lot more about our upcoming CAEP accreditation self-study and site visit. The full-time faculty received an email "save the date" for our first CAEP meeting on Thursday, May 5th. Adjuncts, as always, you are welcome to join us if you are able.
Image Source: https://nextgenlearning.org



David presenting at the CAEP conference


CAEP
In an effort to ensure we all have a clear understanding of the CAEP standards I will be placing the standards on the weekly blog. Thanks again for your participation in the Kahoot at our last faculty meeting as I introduced you to the standards
Standard 1: Content and Pedagogical Knowledge
Standard 2: Clinical Partnerships and Practice
Standard 3: Candidate Quality, Recruitment, and Selectivity
Standard 4: Program Impact
Standard 5: Provider Quality, Continuous Improvement, and Capacity

MACTE & CEEDAR
Next week many of us will be at the Lake of the Ozarks attending the MACTE conference. Susan Hladky and I will be presenting ways in which the CEEDAR resources can benefit other Educator Preparation Programs. Today I received an email from CEEDAR notifying us of a new resource created that could benefit any instructor teaching reading methods. Please click the link to learn more about the Reading Content Enhancement Module.

New Doctoral Cohort Reception
I want to encourage all of you to attend the orientation for the newest cohort of K-12 doctoral students next Wednesday at 4:30pm. Thanks to Shelton Smith and his idea for a more collaborative orientation experience, we are trying a new format to provide an open forum opportunity for new students and their spouses to interact with faculty and leadership. Reference a previous email from the doctoral office and mark it on your calendar!

PLC
Thanks to Sheri Brandt for conducting the opening of the division faculty PLC meeting Tuesday. I continue to read the notes from your PLC meetings and look forward to working with you to implement the ideas you have to help us improve as we prepare educators in the areas of assessment and differentiation. I encourage you to read the work of your colleagues as all PLC notes are kept on the Education Division Professional Development Canvas course shell.

Leadership Day
Dr. Julie Hume, recent graduate from our doctoral program and administrative intern at Ballwin Elementary School in Rockwood, has invited us to their very first Leadership day titled, "#ThisIsBallwin." They want their hallways FILLED to the brim with visitors so their kids can showcase their beauty! We are invited to come to visit and tour with them that day. It will take place next Friday, April 1st from 9:30-11am here at Ballwin Elementary School. I will be attending and welcome you to join me.

Upcoming Events:

  • MACTE     Monday, March 28- Wednesday, March 30     Lake of the Ozarks
  • Doctoral Reception     Wednesday, March 30     4:30pm   
  • Faculty Meeting     Monday, April 4     3:00pm     Recital Hall
  • Outstanding Students of Achievement Ceremony     Tuesday, April 5     7:00pm
  • MoPTA Main Campus Celebration     Wednesday, April 6     5:30pm     FLD 346
  • Division Faculty Meeting     Tuesday, April 12     10:15am - 11:45am
Closing Thoughts
On this Holy Good Friday, I pray that you are able to pause from the busyness of life and reflect on Jesus' death on the cross for us. I am reminded of the beautiful lyrics of a Casting Crowns song, Living, He loved me. Dying, He save me. Buried, He carried my sins far away. Rising, He justified, freely forever. One day He's coming. Oh Glorious day.
Today is Friday, but Sunday is coming!!!!
Image Source: www.pinterest.com
Have a blessed Easter weekend!
Melanie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Memo 11/11/2016

Tribute to Shelton Smith

Friday Memo 9/30/16